History & Mission
The Mission of Jovenes, Inc. is to help homeless youth and at-risk families become productive and integrated members of the community. We provide comfortable, stable housing, access to life skills training, employment support and other community-based services in a safe, nurturing environment. Believing anyone can prosper given the right conditions, we deliver opportunities for personal growth and provide hope, comfort and support where once there was none. We empower those we serve so that they can develop healthy relationships and make meaningful contributions to the community we share.
Founded in 1989 by Father Richard Estrada, Jovenes serves homeless youth regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. Located in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, our subsidized housing model includes supportive short term and permanent housing that is designed to create a home-like atmosphere for those we serve. Together they learn, grow and transform.
- End the immediate situation of homelessness by providing emergency shelter and/or transitional housing.
- Place youth into permanent housing with continued access to our services.
- Help youth obtain employment, create savings, access health care, and continue their education.
- Surround youth with a positive atmosphere and supportive services such as life skills education, housing readiness training, and leadership development. Jovenes works to empower the youth we serve to be advocates for themselves and others who are struggling to make it in our society.
- By seeking an understanding of the challenges faced by homeless youth and further developing leadership qualities in our residents, Jovenes looks to address the systemic causes of youth homelessness. Follow our Invisible to Invincible Advocacy & Awareness Campaign to keep up with our current efforts.